History of Bridgemere
Bridgemere is a small hamlet which includes the local primary school (Bridgemere Primary School) and the ancient small settlements of Admirals Gorse, Parrah Green, Prince Hill, Severn Stars and Wheel Green. Bridgemere was originally a township in the ancient parish of Wybunbury and during the medieval period had an iron foundry. One of the two major coaching roads in Cheshire ran from London via Bridgemere to Nantwich, Chester and onto Wales. It became one of the first turnpike roads in the country in 1743.
Bridgemere parish had three inns in 1765 one of which was named The Holly Bush. Bridgemere was also home to a wildlife park and zoo before it’s closure in 1992! It has a very successful nursery Bridgemere Garden World (Bridgemere Garden World ) spreading over 130 acres and attracts around 2 million visitors annually. Founded in 1961 as a small rose nursery with three employees it was known as ‘the little garden shed in a small field’.
On October 28th 1944 a Wellington Bomber crashed at Prince Hill on a training exercise and a memorial to the six airmen who died (one airman survived) was dedicated in 2003.